The Directorate consists of Divisions of Policy Development for Science and Research, Engineering and Technology, Scientific and Technical Education, Sustainable Environment and Natural Resources. The Action Plan of the Directorate, as defined within the policy framework and emanated from the recommendations and decisions of various conferences and meetings, accentuates on capacity building and inculcating the science, technology and innovation culture in Member States. This results in preparedness of the Member States for adoption of cutting-edge technologies leveraging development and addressing socio economic challenges. This is achieved through various scientific programmes, activities and projects. The Directorate supports and trains for latest trends in science education, sustainable ecological equilibrium and natural resources. A holistic and integrated action plan is executed for building a sustainable science development ecosystem, leading to technological innovation for economic sustainability. Addressing the challenges of natural disasters and climate change impacts and their mitigation strategies is a core thrust of the Directorate.
Division of Science Policies Development and Scientific Research Promotion
- It undertakes the following:
- Extend support to Member States to develop policies and programmes of science, technology and scientific research promotion;
- Foster the contribution of young and women scientists to the development of the policies science, technology and scientific research promotion;
- Encourage national legislations to develop policies of science, technology and scientific research promotion;
- Invigorate the role of data banks, research incubators, scientific forums, specialized networks and governmental institutions in developing policies of science, technology and scientific research promotion;
- Collect and support the findings of active and creative scientific studies and research works, as well as scientific knowledge and useful technologies; and disseminate them in the Islamic countries;
- Grant scientific research scholarships and allocate subsidies for the projects of science and technology development and scientific research promotion;
- Issue journals specialized in science, technology and scientific research devoted to publishing advanced research works, studies, and other scientific research reports;
- Offer awards and medals to honor excellence in science, technology and scientific research promotion;
- Organize high-level seminars, workshops, conferences and specialized meetings; and participate in any activity likely to develop and promote scientific research.
b. Division of Technology Engineering
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- Encourage modern uses and applications of technology engineering in the areas of sustainable development;
- Develop research and innovation activities in technology engineering at universities and research centres;
- Encourage the establishment of Islamic houses of expertise and web portals in Member States and share experiences and successful practices in technology engineering and its applications;
- Activate the roles and tasks of the Islamic Body on Ethics of Science and Technology (IBEST).
Division of Scientific and Technical Education
- It is in charge of the following:
- Support the integration of educational material on modern science and technology and development of relevant policies and programmes;
- Develop technological engineering teaching methods, encourage production of educational material on new technologies and provide the necessary training;
- Establish university chairs for women scientists and young researchers in scientific and technical disciplines;
- Extend support to virtual science and technology education institutions in the Member States.
Division of Environment and Natural Resources
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- Strengthen human and institutional capacities and develop awareness of the need to preserve the environment, rationalize the use of natural resources and address the causes and impacts of climate change;
- Encourage the use of modern techniques in the field of new and renewable energy, development of reference studies and educational materials and exchange of expertise and successful experiences in this area;
- Develop training programmes and networking in the field of management of water resources and combating drought and desertification;
- Ensure the implementation of ISESCO strategies, programmes and initiatives, through the provision of technical support to develop national and regional policies and plans in cooperation with local institutions and the international organizations concerned;
- Foster the exchange of information and experience on the protection of biodiversity, including marine diversity, the preservation of coastal environment and the protection of forests;
- Provide technical support to Member States to develop national plans and policies on natural disasters reduction, enforce the mechanisms for implementing national and regional plans, and foster population’s awareness of disasters and preparing to face them;
- Develop environmental awareness through preparing and printing publications, promoting the role of women and the youth, especially in rural areas, and staging youth camps, fairs, festivals and events on the environment;
- Address problems of environment pollution and its management, including pollution of air, soil and water, and the corollary dangers on health and population;
- Strengthen human capacities, promote cooperation in and contribution to the field of biotechnology, and develop its applications, particularly in the field of agriculture;
- Devise and publish studies and researches to improve production and consumption patterns, promote environmental trade, and rationalize tourist projects in such a way as to preserve clean and sustainable environment in the Member States;
- Modernize agricultural practices, upgrade farmers’ skills in the field of new agricultural techniques, and support the implementation of agricultural pilot projects, especially in least developed countries.
Division of Knowledge Transfer
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- Promote advanced studies and scientific research in all fields of science and technology to achieve sustainable economic development in Islamic countries;
- Hold regular meetings of prominent scientists, organize experts’ meetings, and establish networks of scientists in various fields of science and technology, the aim being to identify major obstacles to scientific research and stimulate knowledge transfer among Member States;
- Develop programmes and strategies likely to address the Islamic world’s future needs in the field of knowledge transfer;
- Identify priority areas for the promotion of high-tech fields, and provide assistance to the affiliated research institutions, and centres of excellence in Islamic countries.
Projects and Areas of involvement
Project one: Sustainable scientific development eco-System.
- Re-invigorating STI policies and good governance.
- Linking science with society.
- Empowering women and youth in science and technology.
- Building indigenous capacity to absorb innovative technologies.
Project two: Technological innovations for sustainable socio-economic development.
- Strengthening innovation for economic gains.
- Promotion of Biotechnology.
- Promotion of nanotechnology and nanosciences.
- Promoting bioethics in science and technology.
Project three: Modernization of science education to address future needs.
- Building knowledge capacities for sustainable economic development.
- Bolstering science education curricula and basic sciences and fostering commercialization and entrepreneurship education.
- Enhancing cooperation among the academic institutions.
- Enculturation of quality in higher education institutions.
Project four: Sustainable natural resource management.
- Ecological Balance and Sustainable Utilization of Natural Resources.
- Conservation of Energy and Promotion of Renewable Resources of Energy.
- Enhancing Water Security and Proper Sanitation and Mitigating the Impact of Drought.
- Protection of Marine Environment and Sustainable Utilization of Ocean Resources.
Project five: Promoting environmental governance.
- Strengthening Environment Governance and Developing Consensus on Environmental Issues.
- Green Economy and Clean Development Mechanism.
- Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Measures.
- Disaster Preparedness, Risk Reduction and Management.
Project six: Social transformations toward building cohesive and prosperous societies.
- Addressing social, human and economic transformations toward building cohesive and prosperous societies.