The Directorate consists of Divisions of Policy Development for Science and Research, Engineering and Technology, Scientific and Technical Education, Sustainable Environment and Natural Resources. The Action Plan of the Directorate, as defined within the policy framework and emanated from the recommendations and decisions of various conferences and meetings, accentuates on capacity building and inculcating the science, technology and innovation culture in Member States. This results in preparedness of the Member States for adoption of cutting-edge technologies leveraging development and addressing socio economic challenges. This is achieved through various scientific programmes, activities and projects. The Directorate supports and trains for latest trends in science education, sustainable ecological equilibrium and natural resources. A holistic and integrated action plan is executed for building a sustainable science development ecosystem, leading to technological innovation for economic sustainability. Addressing the challenges of natural disasters and climate change impacts and their mitigation strategies is a core thrust of the Directorate.
Division of Science and Research Development Policies
- It undertakes the following:
- To extend support to scientific institutions, non-governmental bodies and associations during the convening of meetings aimed at implementing the Division’s programmes in science and research;
- To encourage scientists and researchers through offering them research grants and travel allowances;
- To promote coordination and complimentarity between research institutions and the sector of industry;
- To encourage the establishment of networks of scientists and research institutions in Member States;
- To improve the ways to obtain the results of scientific research;To provide technical support to Member States with a view to developing adequate research policies and programmes, in accordance with the needs of each state in terms of technology.
- To foster the contribution of women to scientific specialties and their participation in developing policies and making decision in the scientific field;
- To reinforce capacities in the conducting of researches, through devising training programmes and convening workshops and forums of discussion.
Division of Engineering and Technology
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- To promote the integration of new technologies and their various applications among Member States through the convening of international conferences, symposia and workshops in which participate relevant local and foreign experts from advanced countries;
- To encourage scientific research activities in the field of engineering and technology in universities and research centres, and establish contact channels between the university and the sector of industry, in order to provide a favourable scientific environment.
- To encourage the establishment of Islamic houses of expertise, in the field of engineering and technology that are made up of eminent local or migrant scientists;
- To create web portals to publicize the activities of Muslim scientists with outstanding achievement in the field of engineering and technology, as well as the scientific activities conducted by Member States in this field;
- To promote advanced sciences among Muslim young people, and simplify them at all levels in a world whose development rests on knowledge.
- To raise the status of scientists, engineers and technicians in every Member State through encouraging their achievements;
- To develop engineering and technology teaching methods in the under-graduate and post-graduate levels.
Division of Scientific and Technology Education
- It is in charge of the following:
- To integrate necessary educational materials on critical techniques (mechatronics, nano technology…) and modernize policies and programmes adopted in technical education;
- To integrate electronic curricula and textbooks through adopting information and communication methodologies and techniques;
- To develop management methods of knowledge transfer among universities and higher education institutions through connecting them to the Internet and information networks equipped to that end;
- To disseminate and publish simplified scientific knowle dg e on scientific and modern concepts;
- To create scientific and cultural clubs, Internet clubs and scientific discussion forums;
- To establish more chairs for female scientists and provide training for the benefit of women in scientific specialties;
- To support the establishment of virtual training centres and virtual universities in the Member States;
- To develop information systems on technical education;
- To implement projects on intellectual development and research, and to support and improve higher education.
Division of Sustainable Environment and Natural Resources
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- To strengthen human and institutional capacities, develop awareness of the need to preserve and sustain natural resources, and address the causes of environment degradation and climate change.
- To foster awareness of modern techniques in the field of new and renewed energy, and promote its use through convening meetings and publishing reference books, materials and educational programmes.
- To qualify human resources, and update knowledge capacities in the field of management of water resources and combating drought and desertification;
- To ensure the implementation of programmes on the preservation of natural resources as part of ISESCO strategies, through the provision of technical support to develop national and regional policies and plans in cooperation with local institutions and the relevant international organizations;
- To foster the exchange of information and experience on the protection of biodiversity, including sea diversity, the preservation of coastal environment and the protection of forests;
- To provide technical support to Member States to develop national plans and policies on natural disasters management, enforce the mechanisms for implementing national and regional plans, and foster population’s awareness of disasters and preparing to face them;
- To develop environmental awareness through preparing and printing publications, promoting the role of women and youth, especially in rural areas, and staging youth camps, fairs, festivals and events on the environment;
- To address problems of environment pollution and its management, including pollution of air, soil and water, and the corollary dangers on health and population;
- To strengthen human capacities, promote cooperation in and contribution to the field of biotechnology, and develop its applications, particularly in the field of agriculture;
- To devise and publish studies and researches to improve consumption patterns, promote environmental trade, and rationalize tourist projects in such a way as to preserve clean and sustainable environment in the Member States;
- To modernize agricultural practices, upgrade farmers’ capacities in the field of agricultural new techniques, and support the implementation of agricultural pilot projects, especially in the least developed Member States.
Projects and Areas of involvement
Project one: Sustainable scientific development eco-System.
- Re-invigorating STI policies and good governance.
- Linking science with society.
- Empowering women and youth in science and technology.
- Building indigenous capacity to absorb innovative technologies.
Project two: Technological innovations for sustainable socio-economic development.
- Strengthening innovation for economic gains.
- Promotion of Biotechnology.
- Promotion of nanotechnology and nanosciences.
- Promoting bioethics in science and technology.
Project three: Modernization of science education to address future needs.
- Building knowledge capacities for sustainable economic development.
- Bolstering science education curricula and basic sciences and fostering commercialization and entrepreneurship education.
- Enhancing cooperation among the academic institutions.
- Enculturation of quality in higher education institutions.
Project four: Sustainable natural resource management.
- Ecological Balance and Sustainable Utilization of Natural Resources.
- Conservation of Energy and Promotion of Renewable Resources of Energy.
- Enhancing Water Security and Proper Sanitation and Mitigating the Impact of Drought.
- Protection of Marine Environment and Sustainable Utilization of Ocean Resources.
Project five: Promoting environmental governance.
- Strengthening Environment Governance and Developing Consensus on Environmental Issues.
- Green Economy and Clean Development Mechanism.
- Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Measures.
- Disaster Preparedness, Risk Reduction and Management.
Project six: Social transformations toward building cohesive and prosperous societies.
- Addressing social, human and economic transformations toward building cohesive and prosperous societies.