ISESCO’s Directorate of Education enjoys a privileged position that it has gained from the Organization’s vision of the pivotal roles of education in leading Muslim countries and communities towards achieving progress through comprehensive and sustainable development. The Directorate has five divisions, namely the Division of Islamic Education, Arabic Language and Muslim Peoples’ Languages; the Division of Education for all, Literacy and Adult Education; the Division of Planning and Educational Technology; the Division of Educational System, Societal Issues and Sustainable Development; and the Division of Higher Education. Based on ISESCO’s action plans in the educational field which incorporate Member States’ priorities and needs in various educational fields, the Directorate is seeking, through such training, awareness-raising and exchange activities as national, regional and international training sessions, workshops, expert meetings, forums, symposiums and conferences, to provide educational technical advice and expertise and contribute to building Member States’ educational capacities, via its specialized educational centers and major projects with the ultimate goal of achieving practical outcomes according to accurate measurement and performance indicators.
Division of Islamic Education, Arabic Language and Muslim People’s Languages
- It discharges the following tasks:
- Support the establishment and management of centres and chairs specialized in the field of Islamic culture and teaching the Arabic language as a foreign language;
- Cooperate and coordinate with national institutions, specialized bodies and donors in the field of Islamic education, original education and teaching Arabic as a foreign language;
- Provide technical and material support to specialized institutions in the Member States in the Division’s field of competence;
- Develop curricula in the Division’s field of competence;
- Assign teachers specialized in Arab-Islamic studies to universities and educational institutions in Member and non-Member States.
Division of Education For all, Literacy and Adult Education
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- Support the establishment and management of centres and chairs specialized in literacy and adult education;
- Develop curricula on education for all, literacy and adult education, upgrade teaching methods and train specialists in this field;
- Prepare educational material on literacy and adult education;
- Extend technical and material assistance to literacy and adult education centres in Member States;
- Encourage cooperation and exchange of expertise in the field of education for all and literacy among Member States and specialized organizations;
- Develop and support researches on literacy and adult education.
Division of Planning and Educational Technology
- It discharges the following:
- Provide technical advice to Member States on the use of new educational techniques;
- Assist in developing teaching aids to be used in the application of new innovations and techniques in educational work;
- Encourage cooperation and the exchange of experts among the centres of educational techniques, and provide technical advice;
- Conduct research, studies and statistics in the field of development, encouragement and support of education;
- Coordinate cooperation between educational institutions and educational research centres in Islamic countries;
- Encourage Member States to make use of computer educational applications.
Division of Educational System, Societal Issues And Sustainable Development
- It undertakes the following:
- Support national strategies and developmental plans of Member States in the fields of action related to education on issues of sustainable development, citizenship, human rights and the rights of special need groups;
- Promote the educational roles of women and youth and support early childhood education programmes;
- Build national capacities of Member States in the Division’s fields of competence;
- Prepare studies, educational material and guides in the fields of action cited above;
- Support the efforts of NGOs, civil society and non-formal education institutions in the said fields and qualify staff working in these institutions;
- Promote cooperation and exchange of expertise among Member States and specialized institutions in developing general strategies and comprehensive plans and enhancing joint Islamic educational action.
Division of Higher Education
- It is in charge of the following:
- Improve university educational curricula, direct them towards the knowledge economy, ensure the quality and competitiveness of their outputs and encourage their creative capacities;
- Coordinate efforts to foster synergy between public and private higher education;
- Encourage use of Islamic sources of funding for expenditure and investment in higher education;
- Link university education curricula to societal issues;
- Develop theoretical and practical methods to qualify and re-qualify faculty for the use of IT and digital platforms;
- Upgrade functional skills mechanisms for university leaderships in governance, quality and innovation;
- Encourage exchange of students, teachers and researchers among university institutions in Member States and beyond, as part of ISESCO’s TAFAHUM programme;
- Promote joint Islamic university education action;
- Encourage the establishment of virtual, private and open universities in Member States and coordinate cooperation among them.
Projects and Areas of involvement
Project one: The developmental approach to literacy and non-formal education programmes
- Management systems of literacy and non-formal education programmes.
- Educational programmes and contents of literacy and non-formal education programmes.
- Integration of newly literate women in the job market.
Project two: the development of technical and vocational education to strengthen youth employment opportunities
- National policies and strategies for the development of technical and vocational education.
- Programmes, teaching methods, and follow-up and assessment systems of technical and vocational education.
- Regional and national infrastructures for technical and vocational education and associated coordination mechanisms.
Project three: Pre-school education development
- Pre-school education and national education strategies.
- Capacity building and quality in pre-school education.
Project four: developing traditional education and promoting the Arabic language position in the Islamic environment
- National and local curricula, educational materials and tools in Quranic teaching, Islamic education and Arabic language for foreigners.
- Educational enhancement for traditional education staff.
- Field statistics, data collection and provision of strategic references for traditional education.
Project five: Information and communication technology at the service of education
- National policies on educational technology.
- Digital upgrading of the educational system.
- Educational digital content.
Project six: Strengthening youth educational roles in fostering coexistence and addressing contemporary international issues
- Member States’ policies and curricula pertaining to youth roles in community development.
- Partnership, coordination and cooperation with youth action institutions to consolidate coexistence and social peace through education.
project seven: Promoting joint education action to develop educational systems in the Member States
- Quality and equality of opportunity in basic education.
- Governance and innovation in the higher education system.