ISESCO’s Directorate of Education enjoys a privileged position that it has gained from the Organization’s vision of the pivotal roles of education in leading Muslim countries and communities towards achieving progress through comprehensive and sustainable development. The Directorate has five divisions, namely the Division of Islamic Education, Arabic Language and Muslim Peoples’ Languages; the Division of Education for all, Literacy and Adult Education; the Division of Planning, Research and Educational Technology; the Division of Educational System, Societal Issues and Sustainable Development; and the Division of Higher Education. Based on ISESCO’s action plans in the educational field which incorporate Member States’ priorities and needs in various educational fields, the Directorate is seeking, through such training, awareness-raising and exchange activities as national, regional and international training sessions, workshops, expert meetings, forums, symposiums and conferences, to provide educational technical advice and expertise and contribute to building Member States’ educational capacities, via its specialized educational centers and major projects with the ultimate goal of achieving practical outcomes according to accurate measurement and performance indicators.
Division of Islamic Education, Arabic Language and Muslim People’s Languages
- It discharges the following tasks:
- To support pioneering experiences in the field of Quranic education;
- To establish and run departments and centres specialized in the field of teaching Islamic culture and Arabic language to non-Arabic speakers.
- To coordinate and cooperate with institutions and bodies specialized in the field of teaching Arabic language to non-Arabic speakers, in order to train distinguished national of educational trainers and academic counselors in non-Arabic speaking countries;
- To provide technical and material support to specialized institutions in the Member States in the field of transcription of Muslim peoples’ languages in the standardized Quranic script;
- To contribute to the development of Quranic schools curricula and teaching methods, and train their teachers;
- To develop Islamic education curricula, and to provide teachers in this field with training;
- To contribute to the development of curricula for teaching Arabic in non-Arabic speaking Member States, and to participate in the in-service training of Arabic language teachers;
- To provide scholarships for training trainers in Arabic-Islamic studies;
To prepare education al materials and guidebooks for the teaching of Islamic education and Arabic language to non-Arabic speakers;
- To develop multi-level standardized tests of Arabic as a foreign language;
- To provide technical assistance to Member States for the preparation of national textbooks for the teaching of Islamic education and the Arabic language;
- To assign teachers specialized in Arabic-Islamic studies to universities and educational institutions in Member States and non-Member States ;
- To organize meetings, conferences and seminars for staff working in the field of Islamic studies in the Member States, in the immigrant communities and elsewhere.
Division of Education For all, Literacy and Adult Education
- It undertakes the following tasks:
- To devise strategies and policies aiming to develop education in Islamic countries;
- To develop curricula on education for all, literacy and adult education, upgrade teaching methods and train specialists in this field;
- To prepare basic books, follow-up publications and teaching materials on literacy and adult education;
- To provide scholarships for training trainers in the field of literacy and adult education ;
- To extend technical and material assistance to literacy and adult education centres in Member States;
- To encourage cooperation and exchange of expertise in the field of education for all and literacy among Member States, in Islamic communities and specialized organizations;
- To assist Islamic countries in their endeavours to eradicate illiteracy;
- To develop and support researches on literacy and adult education.
Division of Planning, Research And Educational Technology
- It discharges the following:
- To provide technical advice to Member States on the use of new education al techniques;
- To assist in developing education al aids to be used in the application of new innovations and techniques in educational action;
- To encourage cooperation and the exchange of experts among the centres of educational techniques, and provide technical advice;
- To conduct research, studies and statistics in the field of development, encouragement and support of education ;
- To coordinate cooperation between education al institutions and education al research centres in Islamic countries;
- To participate in the preparation of education al materials relating to the teaching of computer science in Member States;
- To encourage Member States to make use of computer education al applications;
- To provide technical assistance to Member States interested in introducing the computer in their schools.
Division of Educational System, Societal Issues And Sustainable Development
- It undertakes the following:
- To support national strategies and developmental plans of Member States in the fields of action related to environment education, health education, population health, sustainable development, international education ( citizenship and human rights) and special education (the disabled, the talented, students with outstanding achievement, refugees, migrants and rural population).
- To promote the roles of women, empower them, support participation of the youth and improve child conditions;
- To build national capacities within the educational system, train competencies in the development of curricula relating to the fields mentioned above, and improve teaching methods;
- To prepare studies, educational materials and guides in the fields of action cited above;
- To support the efforts of NGOs, civil society and non-formal education institutions in the said fields and qualify staff working in these institutions;
- To link the issues of education to the efforts of sustainable development;
- To take part in meetings and initiatives of Arab, Islamic and international organizations concerned with the said fields of action.
- To highlight the Islamic view about all the above-mentioned fields of action which sets the Islamic Organization apart from other Arab and international organizations within the framework of maintaining identity and opening up on others;
- To support the efforts of universities in solving the problems of society and contributing to comprehensive development;
- To collect information on modern trends in the area of basic and in-service training of teachers and administrative staff;
- To provide assistance in training teachers and administrative staff and improving their performance;
- To promote cooperation and exchange of expertise among Member States in the field of basic and in-service training of teachers and administrative staff;
- To provide the training and re-training of teachers and administrative staff working in the fields of education al management and planning, and provide scholarships.
Division of Higher Education
- It is in charge of the following:
- To encourage and promote university scientific research, and link it to economic and social development;
- To adapt higher education to the requirements of job market and sustainable development;
- To improve university educational curricula, and achieve quality in knowledge acquisition;
- To encourage creative and innovative university education, and renew its channels;
- To coordinate efforts to foster complimentarity between public and private higher education;
- To bring to motion the Islamic resources of funding and investment in higher education;
- To link university education to the crucial issues of the Islamic Ummah.
- To develop theoretical and practical methods to qualify and re-qualify faculty;
- To upgrade mechanisms for qualifying and training university leaderships;
- To develop strategic awareness of future studies in university programmes;
- To encourage cooperation among universities, higher institutes and scientific research centres in Member States and Islamic communities through the exchange of expertise, professors, students and researches;
- To ensure the equivalence of university and higher diplomas among Member States;
- To support the teaching of the languages of Muslim peoples in Member States’ universities and higher institutes;
- To encourage the establishment of open Islamic universities in Member States and coordinate cooperation among them.
Projects and Areas of involvement
Project one: The developmental approach to literacy and non-formal education programmes
- Management systems of literacy and non-formal education programmes.
- Educational programmes and contents of literacy and non-formal education programmes.
- Integration of newly literate women in the job market.
Project two: the development of technical and vocational education to strengthen youth employment opportunities
- National policies and strategies for the development of technical and vocational education.
- Programmes, teaching methods, and follow-up and assessment systems of technical and vocational education.
- Regional and national infrastructures for technical and vocational education and associated coordination mechanisms.
Project three: Pre-school education development
- Pre-school education and national education strategies.
- Capacity building and quality in pre-school education.
Project four: developing traditional education and promoting the Arabic language position in the Islamic environment
- National and local curricula, educational materials and tools in Quranic teaching, Islamic education and Arabic language for foreigners.
- Educational enhancement for traditional education staff.
- Field statistics, data collection and provision of strategic references for traditional education.
Project five: Information and communication technology at the service of education
- National policies on educational technology.
- Digital upgrading of the educational system.
- Educational digital content.
Project six: Strengthening youth educational roles in fostering coexistence and addressing contemporary international issues
- Member States’ policies and curricula pertaining to youth roles in community development.
- Partnership, coordination and cooperation with youth action institutions to consolidate coexistence and social peace through education.
project seven: Promoting joint education action to develop educational systems in the Member States
- Quality and equality of opportunity in basic education.
- Governance and innovation in the higher education system.