The Directorate of External Relations and Cooperation is a specialized body whose mission is to enhance the status of ISESCO and expand its civilizational reach on the Arab, Islamic and international scenes. The Directorate has two divisions; namely the Division of Relations and Cooperation with Governmental Organizations and Donors, and the Division of Relations and Cooperation with NGOs and Civil Society Institutions.
The Directorate works towards strengthening cooperation, partnership and coordination between ISESCO and governmental and non-governmental organizations and bodies, financial institutions and donors at the national, regional and international levels; the ultimate goal is to promote joint action in the various fields of education, science, culture, thought and development for the benefit of Muslim communities in the Islamic world and beyond. To achieve these goals, the Directorate holds specialized meetings, concludes cooperation and partnership agreements and cooperation programmes, mobilizes outstanding efforts and pioneering expertise and attracts financial contributions to enable ISESCO to implement its action plans and achieve its noble objectives. The number of cooperation agreements signed between ISESCO and international and regional institutions and organizations has reached nearly two hundred agreements, under which more than half of approximately five hundred projects and activities are annually implemented by ISESCO for the benefit of Muslim communities in the Islamic world and beyond.
Functions of the Director
- He discharges the following functions:
- Follow up on the implementation of the Director General’s directives regarding the Organization’s external policy as well as its cooperation relations;
- Prepare periodical reports on the Directorate’s activities;
- Coordinate preparation of cooperation projects and programmes and follow up on their implementation with the relevant directorates, centres and divisions at the Organization;
- Follow up on the financial matters relating to implemented cooperation activities, and coordinate the operations of financial compensation with the cooperating parties;
- Prepare for the meetings of joint committees as well as for coordination meetings with the cooperating parties;
- Draw up agreements and memorandums of understanding with the cooperating parties, in coordination with the Directorate of the Cabinet (Division of Legal Affairs).
Division of Relations and Cooperation with Governmental Organizations and Donating Bodies
Division of Relations and Cooperation with Local Community Organizations and Civil Society Bodies
Each of the two Divisions shall assume the following duties:
- Stimulate and boost the Organization’s external relations, search for new partners and highlight the Organization’s objectives and accomplishments;
- Support cooperation activities between ISESCO and its partners through the preparation, negotiation and follow-up on implementation of agreements and memorandums of understanding;
- Coordinate with the various directorates and centres in the preparation of cooperation programmes to be proposed to the partners of ISESCO;
- Propose a number of major projects for implementation outside the budget and endeavour to secure the necessary funds for their implementation;
Projects and Areas of involvement
Project one: Consolidating cooperation with governmental and non-govern-mental organizations and bodies.
- Promoting cooperation and partnership with governmental organizations and bodies.
- Promoting cooperation and partnership with non-governmental organizations and bodies.
Project two: Consolidating cooperation with civil society institutions and pro-moting humanitarian work
- Enhancing ISESCO’s role in the area of joint Islamic humanitarian work.
- Fostering educational, scientific and cultural services in Member States with special conditions.