Article 7 :
The Council shall meet in plenary sessions, unless it decides to hold them in camera. In case the Council meets in camera, only the Secretary General and the responsible for the secretariat shall be authorized to attend these meetings.
Article 8 :
Council meetings are valid only when the quorum is reached, that is half the members plus one.
Article 9 :
The Council shall meet at least once a year and may meet in special session in the following cases :
- upon a decision made by the Council itself during a previous regular session ;
- at the invitation of the Chairman and the approval of at least one third of the members, provided the invitation is received one month before the date set for the session ;
- at the invitation of the Secretary General and the approval of at least one third of the members, provided that the invitation is received a month before the date set for the session.
Article 10 :
At each one of its sessions, the Council shall determine the date and venue of the following session.
Article 11 :
- The Executive Council shall meet in a procedural session, after each regular session of the General Conference, to elect its Bureau.
- The Bureau shall consist of a Chairman, three Vice-Chairmen and a Rapporteur. Members of the Bureau shall remain in office until the end of the next regular session of the General Conference, taking into account balance among the Member Universities of the Federation.
Article 12 :
- In case of absence of the Chairman, the chairmanship shall be entrusted to the senior Vice-Chairman, following the order of hierarchy of the Bureau. In case of absence of the three Vice-Chairmen, the chairmanship shall be entrusted to the Rapporteur.
- In case of vacancy of the Chairman's position for any reason, the chairmanship shall be entrusted to the Vice-Chairman or the Rapporteur, as stated in the previous paragraph, until the Council convenes and selects a new chairman at the following Council Session.
- In case of vacancy of any other position in the Council Bureau, the Council shall select a substitute at the following Council session.
Article 13 :
The Chairman shall open and close the Council sessions and meetings. He shall also :
- give the floor to the members in turn and according to the order in which requests for the floor have been made;
- conduct discussions;
- ensure implementation of the provisions of the Charter and the Rules of Procedure of the Council;
- settle questions raised on points of order;
- introduce all agenda items as well as any proposal which may be submitted to the Council;
- participate, in his capacity as a Council member, in the Council's debates;
- read out the Council's decisions.
Article 14 :
- Voting at the Council shall normally be by show of hands or by roll call if so requested by a member, or if the Council deems that the first method does not show the majority. Voting may take place through secret ballot if necessary.
- Any member may abstain from voting or make partial or full reservation on any decision. The reservations shall be read out after the decision, and recorded in the session's minutes.
Article 15 :
Each Council member shall be entitled to one vote. Only the Council members shall have the right to vote.
Article 16 :
Council decisions shall be made on the basis of the majority of the attending and voting members. In case of a tie, the Chairman shall have the casting vote.
Article 17 :
The General Secretariat shall record all discussions on agenda items as well as all decisions resulting from those discussions.
Article 18 :
The General Secretariat shall prepare a report of the deliberations and decisions of the Council, which shall be sent, within a period of three months, from the end of the Council session, to the Council members and the Member Universities of the Federation.
Article 19 :
A special record containing all the minutes of Council meetings shall be kept at the General Secretariat. It shall be signed by the Chairman and by the Secretary General.
Full audio recordings of all sessions shall also be kept at the General Secretariat. Article 20
The Council sessions shall be closed after all agenda items have been considered.