- In accordance with the objectives of the FUIW’s charter seeking to upgrade and develop higher education and evaluate its performance to improve its quality and accreditation; and
- En réponse à la recommandation des experts de l’ISESCO, de l’ALECSO et de la Fédération des Universités du Monde islamique appelant à la création d’une instance consultative pour la qualité et la certification (Amman, Jordanie : 17-19/9/2006) ;
The FUIW’s General Secretariat has submitted the project of “the Islamic Advisory body for quality and accreditation” to the fourth General Conference of the FUIW held in Kuwait ( State of Kuwait: 4- 5 April 2007), which approved the body as “an accrediting body”.
The project on the Islamic Body for Quality and Accreditation was submitted by the General Secretariat of the Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW) to the FUIW’s 4th General Conference held in Kuwait in April 2007. The conference approved the project and recommended however that the body shall have overall authority for accreditation, well-defined duties and functions, specialized units, an organizational chart and a bureau, and shall serve as an integrated, administrative and executive organ with financial and administrative responsibilities and not as an advisory body as the title of the project suggests.
Likewise, the first symposium on “Quality and Accreditation in Islamic University Education”, which was held at Um-al-Qura University (Makkah-al-Mukarramah: 11-13 May 2008), issued a recommendation calling for the establishment of an International Islamic Body for Quality and Accreditation, reporting to the FUIW.
Moreover, during the second symposium held in Kuala Lumpur from 20 to 22 July 2009 on “Strategic Planning and Quality Assurance in Higher Education in the Islamic World: Current State of Affairs - Challenges- Prospects for Human and Institutional Capacity Building”, it was called for implementing the aforesaid recommendation and examining the ways of putting it into action.
At the invitation of the FUIW, the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) hosted an experts’ meeting on the activation of the Islamic Body for Quality and Accreditation, at the Legend Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, from 8 to 10 April 2010. The meeting brought together a panel of experts representing several FUIW Member Universities, namely :
- The Azerbaijan State Economic University (ASEU);
- The Islamic University in Uganda;
- The Assiut University, Egypt;