The Deputy Director General shall be answerable to the Director General. He shall fulfill the tasks relating to the main matters and priorities falling within ISESCO’s fields of competence within the directorates of Education, Science, Culture and Communication, the Planning, Information and Documentation Centre, and ISESCO Centre for Promotion of Scientific Research (ICPSR). He shall discuss those matters, establish the relevant plans and mechanisms and develop them into proposed plans, strategies and projects at the short, medium and long terms. He shall also supervise the preparation, implementation and follow-up of the programmes and activities. He shall also substitute for the Director General in his absence, upon an official assignment from the Director General.
The Deputy Director General shall ensure the coordination of the action of the above-mentioned directorates, follow up and evaluate their achievements, and ascertain that they have accomplished their objectives defined in the annual activity schedule, the Three-Year Action Plan and the relevant strategies. He shall also supervise the preparation of periodical reports on the activities of the directorates. He shall be directly assisted in these functions by a number of Programme Specialists and administrative assistants appointed to his office to this effect.
The Directorates of Education, Science, Culture and Communication as well as the Planning, Information and Documentation Centre and ISESCO Centre for Promotion of Scientific Research (ICPSR) constitute the technical organs in charge of implementing the programmes of action plans following their adoption by the General Conference. Each directorate is supervised by a director who shall be answerable both to the Deputy Director General and to the Director General.
The Directors shall carry out the following functions
- Prepare the action plans and programmes of directorates, under the supervision of the Deputy Director General and in accordance with the policies and strategies defined by the Director General in conformity with the resolutions and decisions of the General Conference and the Executive Council;
- Ensure follow-up of the enforcement of the resolutions of the General Conference, the decisions of the Executive Council and the directives of the Director General;
- Contribute within their competence to developing conceptions and proposals to promote ISESCO’s action in the short, medium and long terms, as well as to defining the modalities to implement various activities;
- Carry out the tasks and programmes of the directorates;
- Coordinate the work of the divisions placed under their authority and monitor their work;
- Submit reports on the implementation of programmes to the Deputy Director General;
- Undertake any other task that may be entrusted to them by the Director General or the Deputy Director General within the framework of his ordinary prerogatives.
- Prepare periodical evaluation reports on the implementation of activities and programmes for the Director General;
- Prepare the Director General’s evaluation reports for submission to the Executive Council and the General Conference.